Saturday 22 January 2011

It's tea time


One of the first stereotypes everyone comes up with when thinking of  “English” is that they always drink tea. Which is more or less true and I can fully understand it as I’m drinking a lot of tea as well (but without milk and opposite to the average Brit I own at least 20 different sorts and most of them lose and not in bags).
Most teabags you buy in Germany have strings so they can easily be removed from the cup when the tea is strong enough. Not so in England, the epicentre of tea-drinking. Here the majority of teabags has no string. Doesn’t matter if they are round, square or little pyramids – you still need a spoon to get it out again. Or make a mess and burn your fingers (as I most times do).


What is the reason for it? Is it saving money during production? Are strings seen as continental nonsense? Or do they just assume that from stirring in the milk you have a spoon ready anyway?
Very mysterious indeed...

2 comments:

  1. Strings are continental nonsense!!! Clipper tea is the best and I bring loads back to Norway each time I visit home! (also, no silly strings!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. never tried Clipper so far...at the moment I love the Twinnings Limited Edition Rose tea - with strings ;-)

    ReplyDelete