Monday 1 August 2011

I did it! Race for Life, Clapham Common, 30.7.2011

On saturday I did my first ever "Race for Life" in order to raise money for e charity Cancer Research UK.

I chose to walk 10k, not an unusual distance for me but I never actually had walked it timed and on purpose before. How long would it take? 2hrs? More?

For the first time ever I made my way into London wearing trainers and tracksuit bottoms, a scary experience. I normally wouldn't like to be seen dead in them...but if it is for a good cause...

On the Northern Line more and more ladies dressed in pink and carrying their bags of unwanted items for the donation station got on the train. And I started to get slightly worried...they were all belonging to the super-fit crowd. I was getting a bit scared that I might be the only one fit enough to walk the 10k but not fit enough to run them...


When I arrived my worries were gone, there were loads of girls and women of all ages, sizes and fitness-levels. I felt happy and relieved :-)

After getting  free Yakult and cranberry juice, after handing over my bag and getting slightly annoyed that I hadn't got enough money with me to buy the official T-Shirt of the event, I started walking shortly after 9.30.
A great feeling, no one makes fun of you when you are not running or don't look like the most sporty person on earth.


Even though I kept to myself during the race I felt happy and very very good and satisfied.

In the end I finished my two laps around the huge common in 95min. Well proud of that!


Was a great day and a fantastic and inspiring event, already signed up for next year and can only encourgage everyone to give it a try.

PS: And you can still sponsor me and donate a small amount of money for Cancer Research UK when you click the link on the right and go on my sponsor website. Thank you!!!

2 comments:

  1. congratulations. I've been thinking about doing a charity race for a while now, but I keep forgetting to sign up. not a good excuse, i know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one! you definetely can be proud!

    ReplyDelete