Saturday 29 September 2012

Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde


I might have mentioned it before: I'm a big fan of all art that comes under the label of  "Pre-Raphaelite" or the Arts and Craft movement (if you now think "what?!?!" then please click here :-)).
When I heard about the huge Pre-Raphaelites exhibition in the Tate Britain I knew I simply had to go (despite the high admission prices).


What shall I say - it was extremely busy and the air was stuffy. But apart from that simply amazing!
So many works on display from a large number of artists and ranging from sketches to large scale embroidery..
Sheer beauty that fascinates instantly...but as soon as you start reading up a bit and investigating the background it becomes more and more compelling, every piece a testimonial of a Victorian "Sex & Drugs and Rock' n' Roll" culture.

The exhibition is on until the 13th January 2013 so you still have a bit of time to have a look for yourself.
I ended up buying the catalogue and will work my way through it now...


2 comments:

  1. knowing the story behind this last picture you showed (thx wikipedia!) makes it so much more beautiful ... and spooky :)

    ich mag diesen "vor"jugendstil... schick

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're hoping to see the exhibition after Christmas and having read your review I'm looking forward to it even more.

    This is my first visit to your blog. I popped over from Krims Krams where you left a comment on Sunday trading.

    ReplyDelete