Monday 17 February 2014

1980 - A piece by Pina Bausch

theatre/ensemble: Tanztheater Wuppertal/ Sadler's Wells Theatre, London
choreographer/idea: Pina Bausch



plot: In its 40th anniversary season, Tanztheater Wuppertal return to Sadler’s Wells to perform one of her most acclaimed works from the early part of her career: 1980, A Piece by Pina Bausch. Rarely performed, the piece was created following the death of her professional and romantic partner Ralf Borzik, who played a key role in the forming of the visual style of Tanztheater. Featuring an astoundingly diverse score including works by Beethoven, Debussy, Elgar and Brahms, it is a wistful elegy, dealing with nostalgia, childhood, life and death.

what I liked: After all the conservative, safe and realistic theatre experiences in London recently I was lusting after something more edgy, something I can't grasp but marvel at instead.
Found it here - I failed at decoding many scenes and details but it really didn't matter. There was some kind of hypnotic undertow I was happily to just let my mind flow along with. Left inspired, relaxed and happy.

what I didn't like: Maybe it's misleading to show this piece in the Sadler's Wells, London purely dance theatre as it is not really a dance performance.



verdict: I can't really explain what it was that I saw but I did thoroughly enjoy it. Everyone expecting a lot of dance, a straightforward plot or loads of music will be most definitely disappointed.
It's subtle, weird, surrealistic, funny, thought provoking, touching and repetitive in a good way.
Some people left the performance fairly early, I left it being an even bigger fan of the late Pina Bausch.

No comments:

Post a Comment