Saturday 15 February 2014

The Cuckoo´s Calling

author: Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)
published: 2013



plot:  Afghanistan veteran Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers...

what I liked: I´m new to the genre of detective novels so didn´t know what to expect. To my own surprise I was drawn into the story immediately - no blood, descriptions of violence or grime, "just" an extremely gilded and well written investigation.

what I didn´t like: As much as this surprises myself - nothing!

verdict: An interesting story, authentic characters, and a plotline that had me guessing all the time (well, I´m simply not trained in that field...yet). London was evoked on every page, I could already imagine the film version in my head - brilliant. Looking forward to the next novel featuring hairy Cormoran Strike!

4 comments:

  1. Ich war von ihrem ersten Roman nach Harry Potter ziemlich enttäuscht ( kommt jetzt nicht auf den Titel ) Das hier scheint um Längen besser zu sein. ;)

    LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich habe es (ungekürzt) gehört und ich war TOTAL begeistert - allerdings bin ich sowieso wieder auf Miss Marple & Co, vom Genre her passt das also ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds very interesting... gonna check that :)

    ReplyDelete