Monday 20 October 2014

What we did on our Holiday

director: Andy Hamilton, Guy Jenkins
year: 2014
with: David Tennant, Rosamund Pike, Billy Connolly, Ben Miller, etc.



plot: Doug and Abi are taking their three children on a trip to Scotland for a big family gathering. They are in the midst of a difficult divorce, and have asked the kids to keep it a secret from their extended family. But as the inevitable feuds kick in, a completely unexpected turn of events involving the children causes further tensions to rise to the surface. And with the repercussions that ensue - hilarious and emotional in equal measure - the family are forced to put aside their differences and work together or else risk losing what they hold most dear.


what I liked: The balance between comedy and tragedy works and the film tells the story without lenghts. The children were not given a tight script and could improvise which makes a nice change from the usual unbearably precocious child performances.

what I didn´t like: David Tennant is not my cup of tea, Billy Connolly gets on my nerves pretty easily and when I see Rosamund Pyke I think of "Gone Girl" (though I haven´t seen it yet) and yell "BITCH" in my head so this is not a cast I would have chosen.




verdict: A British tragicomedy with a similar feel to "Little Miss Sunshine" - enough to laugh about, enough to make you think. More of a tv film than made for the big screens. Shame I can´t stand the main actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment