Friday 5 December 2014

strictly come dancing

It happened during a wedding this summer, the DJ was playing Metallica with "Nothing else matters" and the guests on the dancefloor did what they were supposed to do -they danced.
Nothing new there. The thing that amused, confused and astonished my husband was this:

All those crazy Germans were waltzing. Proper ballroom dancing. Nearly as if they would have been magically transported to the Vienna opera ball.



For me this sight wasn't unusual. Here in Germany it still is more or less the norm to attend ballroom dancing lessons during the teenage years (which in many cases not only results in some nifty turns and moves but in dating, discos, and dramas).
Not sure about any figures but I would assume that at least 50% of all Germans are capable of at least basic Waltz, Cha-Cha and Discofox.

Correct me if I'm wrong (or maybe just married into the wrong family) but in the UK ballroom dancing seems to be something you watch when "Strictly Come Dancing" is on tv but not something you actively learn and do. And definitely not when "Nothing else matters" is on.

Bit of a shame I think.

1 comment:

  1. Spontaneously I cannot imagine myself waltzing to Nothing Else Matters?

    ReplyDelete